Photo © Courtesy of Egg Farmers of Ontario
Loaded with fruit and healthy grains, these breakfast muffins will add a nutritious boost to your breakfast on-the-go! They also make a perfect after school snack or lunch box item.
Yield: 12 muffins | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Bake Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup (250 mL) quick oats
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) oat granola, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground flaxseed (flaxseed meal)
- 1 ½ tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2 mL) sea salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground allspice
- ¼ cup (60 mL) unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup (60 mL) mashed ripe banana
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500 mL) grated apples (McIntosh, Spartan, Cortland or Crispin)
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsweetened apple sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray muffin pan with vegetable spray or line with muffin cups. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together oats, 1 cup of granola, flour, flaxseed, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger and allspice.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and brown sugar until creamy and light brown, about 4 minutes. Beat in eggs, banana and vanilla until combined. Stir in grated apple, apple sauce and dry ingredients until combined. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle reserved granola on top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Transfer muffins to rack to cool completely.
Tip: For a different sweetness, try substituting coconut sugar for the brown sugar.
More recipes from Egg Farmers of Ontario:
Get your free copy of Global Heroes, jam-packed with positive news, straight in your inbox.
Ontario eggs are healthy, easy to prepare, affordable and produced by local farmers. Egg Farmers of Ontario is pleased to offer you recipes, cooking techniques, and tips to simplify meal preparation.