Cajun Veggie Skillet © Courtesy of Egg Farmers of Ontario
This healthy and hearty veggie skillet with a spicy kick is loaded with fresh summer produce.
Servings: 4 | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 ml) diced zucchini
- 2 cups (500 ml) small chopped broccoli florets
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh corn kernels off the cob
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) hot sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp (2 ml) each garlic powder and onion powder
- ½ tsp (2 ml) each paprika, oregano and thyme
- ½ tsp (2 ml) each salt and pepper
- 2 cups (500 ml) packed baby spinach
- 1 cup (250 ml) halved grape tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, broccoli, bell pepper, corn, hot sauce, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper; sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in spinach and tomatoes; let cook further 1 minute until spinach is wilted.
- Make 4 shallow wells and add an egg into each well. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until whites are set with a runny yolk; about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with green onions and season with pepper to taste.
Tip: For a variation, try scrambling the eggs into the veggie skillet, add grated cheese and roll into a tortilla for a breakfast burrito.
Nutrients per serving (¼ recipe): 230 calories, 13 g total fat, 490 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrates, 3 g fibre, 7 g sugars, 11 g protein.
Ontario eggs are healthy, easy to prepare, affordable and produced by local farmers. Egg Farmers of Ontario is pleased to offer you recipes, cooking techniques and tips to simplify meal preparation.