Coconut lime cupcakes © Courtesy of Egg Farmers of Ontario
There’s nothing better than when the days start to get longer, and we see more of the sun. Spring is in the air, and it’s the perfect time of year for celebrating everything fresh and new.
It’s a great time to brighten up your menu too. After a long winter filled with comfort food, why not lighten things up? Eggs are the perfect ingredient to satisfy your appetite, and one large egg gives you 6 grams of protein for only 70 calories! They also make a great grab-and-go snack for going outside in the fresh spring air.
Speaking of fresh, did you know that eggs go from the farm to the grading station to your grocery store in only 4 to 7 days? Now that’s fresh! When you cook or bake with Ontario eggs, you know they are produced according to the same Grade A standard for quality, freshness and cleanliness.
Eggs are also perfect for every occasion, but you don’t need a reason to make these cheerful Coconut Lime Cupcakes. With just the right amount of sweetness with a tang of lime, you’ll be looking for excuses to make these cupcakes!
Yield: 12 | Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 13 minutes
- 1¼ cups (310 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp (6 ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 ml) kosher salt
- ⅓ cup (75 ml) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup (180 ml) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) stirred canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lime zest
- 1 tsp (5 ml) coconut extract
Coconut White Chocolate Frosting:
- 1 tub (227 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 200 g good-quality white chocolate, melted
- ½ cup (125 ml) icing sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) stirred canned full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp (10 ml) coconut extract
- ½ tsp (2 ml) lime zest
- ½ cup (125 ml) sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 6 lime slices, halved
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on low speed, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time; beat in coconut milk, lime juice, lime zest and coconut extract. Stir in the flour mixture quickly until combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cup liners. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups; about halfway.
- Bake for about 11-13 minutes or until the toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Coconut White Chocolate Frosting: In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese, melted white chocolate, coconut milk, icing sugar, coconut extract and lime zest, scraping bowl as necessary; beat for 1 minute, until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, until thickened and spreadable, or for up to 1 day.
- Frost cupcakes evenly and sprinkle the edges with toasted coconut. Garnish with a lime slice.
Ontario eggs are healthy, easy to prepare, affordable and produced by local farmers. Egg Farmers of Ontario is pleased to offer you recipes, cooking techniques and tips to simplify meal preparation.