Photo © Courtesy of Pelee Island Winery
This summery dish features a delicious dipping broth alongside marinated tofu for a quick and easy meal, perfect for lunch, dinner, or meal prep! Pair this cold salad with a bottle of LOLA Blush Sparkling Rosé VQA from Pelee Island Winery, a sparkling wine with hints of strawberry and blood orange flavours. This perfect pairing makes a meal worth sharing!
— Serves 2 —
- 2 servings of Soba noodles, use pure buckwheat soba or rice noodles for gluten-free
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 thinly sliced or grated carrot
- 1 green onion green parts chopped
- 1 cup of broccoli
- 2 cups of baby spinach
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Optional—seaweed salad and pickled ginger
Tofu and Marinade
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp chili crisp oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Bottoms of green onion, chopped
Soba Dipping Broth
- 1 cup Vegan Dashi Stock / Kombu Dashi Stock / Vegan Ramen Broth
- 2 tbsp mirin OR 1 tbsp water and 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Press the tofu and then cut into bite size cubes. Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl and add the tofu, let sit while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix the broth ingredients in a bowl. Chill for 15 – 30 mins.
- Cook the noodles according to instructions on the package. (Simmer in boiling water for 5-6 mins for the wheat + buckwheat soba). Drain and rinse with cold water, agitating the noodles as you rinse.
- Add the noodles to a bowl and add a tsp of oil or sesame oil and toss to coat.
- Add sesame oil to a pan, add in spinach, cook for 3-4 minutes or until wilted, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Transfer to a plate, then in the same pan, add in broccoli crowns and ¼ cup of water. Let steam with lid on for 4 minutes or until bright green and still crunchy. Once cooked, transfer to same plate as the spinach. Let vegetables cool.
- In the same pan, add in your tofu and marinade, cook on medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until slightly browned and crispy on the outside.
- Begin plating, add ¼ cup of broth to a bowl, then add in the noodles, add the veggies, tofu, and top with green onions and sesame seeds. Top with chili oil for an extra kick!
- Serve with individual bowls of broth for dipping topped with a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Pelee Island, home to a 700+ acre farm in Canada’s warmest grape-growing region, has a winemaking history dating back more than 150 years. Pelee Island Winery is a founding member of Sustainable Winemaking Ontario, which recognizes wineries and growers committed to enhancing the environment by using sustainable practices in their wineries and vineyards.
Discover Pelee Island’s sustainable practices and shop exceptional wines at peleeisland.com