Recipe, food styling and photo: © Julie DesGroseilliers, Nutritionist
Fromagerie Bergeron, founded in 1989, brings the Bergeron expertise into the future. Starting with the original Dutch recipe for Gouda, they developed a unique and distinctive “Bergeron’’ taste and quickly established themselves as the Canadian Gouda Masters.
Inspired by the success of the Bergeron Classique Gouda, the family took their innovation further. They created a cheese made with partially-skimmed milk, a cumin-flavoured cheese, a naturally-smoked cheese and even a washed-rind cheese, the acclaimed Fin Renard. Today, the fourth generation of Bergeron’s are continuing the legacy of Fromagerie Bergeron, with innovative recipes like Le Calumet stuffed baked potato, developed with nutritionist Julie DesGroseilliers.
This stuffed sweet potato is actually a meal in itself! It’s tasty, easy to make, and more than a little indulgent. The subtly smokey flavour of our Le Classique Smoked cheese gives it that barbecue, summery feel everyone loves. And with all the protein in the sweet potato, mushrooms, chickpeas, and cheese, it makes a very satisfying meal.
You can also make the recipe with Le Classique Smoked Light cheese for a low fat version that’s just as delicious.
Makes: 4 servings • Prep time: 25 minutes • Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 4 sweet potatoes, about 310 g (2/3 lb) each
- Olive oil, to taste
- 6 slices bacon
- 500 ml (2 cups) onions, sliced into rings
- 750 ml (3 cups) mushrooms of your choice, chopped
- 20 ml (4 tsp.) fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 389 ml (14 oz.) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 package (200 g) Fromagerie Bergeron Le Classique Smoked cheese, diced
- 20 ml (4 tsp.) fresh chives, chopped
- Preheat oven at 450°F.
- Scrub each potato and wrap in a double thickness of aluminum foil. Prick with a fork in a few places and place directly on oven rack. Cook about 40 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a non-stick pan. Remove bacon, drain, crumble into bits and set aside. Place the onions in the bacon fat (adjust the amount of fat to taste) and cook 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the chick peas, cheese, chives and bacon. Mix well.
- Using a spoon, open up the cooked potatoes lengthwise. Stuff with the mushroom mixture and serve.
- Bon appétit!
MORE FEEL GOOD RECIPES:
Fromagerie Bergeron is committed to lowering its environmental footprint by optimizing its daily practices. Sustainable development is the key to ensuring the company’s prosperity without compromising that of future generations.