Hospice Muskoka: Quality of Life to the Very Last Breath


© Pexels/ Vlada Karpovich

Andy’s House is Muskoka’s palliative care home, providing 10 end-of-life and palliative care respite beds for permanent and seasonal residents of Muskoka, and their extended families, at no charge. Run by Hospice Muskoka, we are located on the shore of the Indian River in Port Carling. Our round-the-clock care team includes palliative nursing experts, PSWs, trained volunteers, and medical support, all of whom are there to help make a person’s final journey peaceful and dignified.

We believe grief is the last act of love, and we teach people to honour the love, not the loss. Grief and bereavement counselling and support are available, free of charge, to children, youth, families, and adults, and is delivered by a team of specially trained providers.

Advance Care Planning services assist you and your family prepare for an unexpected emergency or life-limiting diagnosis while you are still well enough to communicate your wishes. We help you turn difficult conversations into an opportunity to bond with loved ones and share your wishes for your future care and end-of-life plan.

We receive funding for 45 per cent of our staffing costs from the provincial government for three beds and 45 per cent of staffing costs from our local hospital for five beds. Access to these beds is crucial, as it enables the hospital to preserve acute beds for people who need active treatment and surgery. For the remaining 55 per cent, Hospice Muskoka relies on donations and grants to fund our operational and program costs, which include a pediatric suite and overnight room for visiting guests. The need for our programs and services has never been greater, and we know it will continue to increase over the coming decades as our population ages.

How You Can Help:

Check out Willpower.ca or speak to your financial advisor to learn about the tax benefits of legacy giving. In addition to estate tax benefits, providing a legacy gift ensures Hospice Muskoka can continue to positively impact the lives of others for years to come. You can make legacy donations using securities, life insurance, or property. Alternatively, you may wish to leave an endowment for education, research, or explore naming opportunities within Andy’s House or our new butterfly garden, a place offering solitude and reflection for those who have lost a loved one. By donating even a small portion of your estate, you are creating a philanthropic legacy for you and your loved ones.

A growing number of people are embracing the power to influence real change for their family and their charities of choice. Please consider making Hospice Muskoka part of your Legacy Giving Plan by going to www.willpower.ca/charities/hospice-muskoka.

Visit hospicemuskoka.com for a complete description of our services and a full selection of opportunities to contribute to our growth and continued ability to serve the needs of those in the final stage of life.

Get your free copy of Global Heroes, jam-packed with positive news, straight in your inbox.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

At a time when you need help most, Hospice Muskoka provides compassionate comfort, emotional, and spiritual support.


Subscribe to our Newsletter and Access all issues of Global Heroes News straight in your inbox. 100% free, no purchase necessary, for life. Uplifting stories, highlighting the inspirational efforts of everyday people, celebrities, and organizations, who are diligently working together towards practical solutions to global problems.