This light shrimp appetizer is a great time-saver that will be sure to impress your family and have everyone excited for the next bite.
To reclaim some time and get some extra flavour, use sustainably sourced, peeled and cleaned shrimp, like MSC certified cold water shrimp. When you purchase seafood that has been MSC certified you can enjoy wild, nutritious seafood knowing it’s good for the ocean too. And it’s frozen at sea, locking in freshness.
With this recipe, the delicate sweetness of the shrimp is elevated by bright aromatic herbs and citrus notes, while the crispy potato cake is the perfect vessel for this tasty app.
Crispy Potato Cakes with Herb-Marinated Cold Water Shrimp
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 30 – 45 mins
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 1 medium Spanish or white onion
- 340 g (3/4 lb) MSC certified cold water shrimp, thawed and drained
- 200 g (3/4 cup) full-fat sour cream
- 1 small bunch each of fresh thyme, fresh basil, fresh flat-leaf parsley, fresh oregano
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Capers, caper berries, microgreens, or pickled onions (optional garnish suggestions)
- Make sure shrimp are thawed and drained. Remove any excess liquid and store in fridge until you’re ready to use.
- Peel onion. Using the rough side of a cheese grater, grate into a bowl.
- Grate the washed but not peeled potatoes using the same side of the cheese grater. Add to bowl with onions. Tip: grating the onion first helps keep the potatoes from oxidizing.
- Season grated mixture with a little bit of salt and mix together well. The mixture will start to weep liquid once you add salt – don’t worry, that’s exactly what you are looking for.
- Preheat your frying pan to medium heat and get your baking sheet and spatula ready to go.
- Using your hands, take a bit of the mixture, about the size of a ping pong ball, and squeeze as much liquid out of it as you can. Place this in the heated frying pan and press down so it is flat. Continue to do so until the pan is filled with potato cakes.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides and add more oil if they start to stick to the pan.
- Set aside cooked potato cakes and let rest while you prepare the cold water shrimp.
- Roughly chop all the herbs, zest and squeeze juice from the lemon and mix together in a bowl. Add the olive oil, cold water shrimp, and season to taste.
- To assemble, place potato cakes on a platter, top generously with sour cream and add the final touch – a generous spoonful of the marinated shrimp. Garnish and serve.