© Courtesy of Egg Farmers
When life gives you lemons, make mom these lemon blueberry bars!
Not only does May bring flowers, but it is also a time when we celebrate that special person we call mom. Whether you are spending the day with your mother, sister, aunt, grandmother, partner, or daughter, a sweet treat will always make any Mother’s Day extra lovely.
The best gifts are homemade with love, and nothing shows her you care like making something sweet! We’ve got the perfect recipe in mind—these Lemon Blueberry Bars have the perfect balance of sweet and tart, bursting with blueberry flavour combined with a rich and buttery shortbread base. When you include fresh Ontario eggs in any of your baking, you know it’s got to be delicious!
Did you know the eggs you buy in your grocery store go from farm to grading station to your store shelves in only four to seven days? During busy times like holidays, it can be even faster. More than 500 egg farm families, some of them multiple generations,
work every day to ensure a supply of fresh, high-quality eggs for Ontario consumers.
Eggs can be found in all kinds of cookies, cakes, custards, puddings, meringues… we can go on! So go ahead and share these Lemon Blueberry Bars with someone special or visit getcracking.ca to find your favourite egg recipe.
Lemon Blueberry Bars
Yields: 16 bars | Prep Time: 25 minutes | Cook Time: 40 to 45 minutes
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter, softened
- ½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
Lemon Blueberry Filling:
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups (750 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp (2 mL) kosher or sea salt
- 1½ cups (375 mL) fresh blueberries
- Icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a 13 x 9-inch (3.5 L) metal cake pan with parchment paper, leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) extending over long edges for handles. Set aside.
- Shortbread Crust: In a large bowl, with a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in flour in two additions until just combined. Press evenly into the prepared pan and chill for 20 minutes. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack.
- Lemon Blueberry Filling: In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, flour, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt until combined. Pour over cooled base; sprinkle with blueberries. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the centre is set.
- Let cool completely in pan on rack. Chill uncovered for at least 2 hours before serving. Slice into 16 bars of equal size; sprinkle with icing sugar, and serve.
Get your free copy of Global Heroes, jam-packed with positive news, straight in your inbox.
Ontario eggs are healthy, easy to prepare, affordable and produced by local farmers. Egg Farmers of Ontario is pleased to offer you recipes, cooking techniques, and tips to simplify meal preparation.