Photo © Courtesy of Egg Farmers of Ontario | Eggs Recipes
It’s like a taste of heaven with bites of fluffy egg whites, rich runny yolks and crispy prosciutto.
Serves: 6 | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 3 minutes | Bake Time: 6 minutes
- 3 slices prosciutto (about 45g)
- 6 eggs, separated
- ½ cup (125 mL) + 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) finely chopped mixed fresh herbs (such as chives, thyme, and basil), divided
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In a large non-stick pan, over medium heat, cook prosciutto until crisp and golden brown, about 3 minutes. Let cool and chop. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, on medium-high speed, beat egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold in ½ cup (125 mL) Parmesan and 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the mixed herbs. On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, spoon 6 large dollops of egg mixture 2-inches (5 cm) apart. Using the back of a spoon, press small wells into the centre of each egg cloud. Bake for 3 minutes.
- Top each well with an egg yolk; sprinkle with remaining cheese, herbs, pepper and prosciutto. Bake for another 3 minutes or until egg is heated through. Serve immediately.
Tip: Try other variations like diced chorizo, shredded old cheddar or Romano cheese.
Nutrients per serving (1/6th recipe or 1 cloud egg): 140 calories, 9 g total fat, 380 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrates, 0 g fibre, 1 g sugars, 12 g protein.
Excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin B12, pantothenate and selenium. Good source of riboflavin and niacin.
Ontario eggs are healthy, easy to prepare, affordable and produced by local farmers. Egg Farmers of Ontario is pleased to offer you recipes, cooking techniques, and tips to simplify meal preparation.