Photo © Courtesy of Egg Farmers of Ontario
In Ontario, most eggs in your grocery store come from farms across the province, many of them from families that have been farming for multiple generations.
Aric Bos is one of those farmers. As a third-generation farmer from Huron County, Aric enjoys the fact that he can share the eggs from his farm every day with Ontario families. Together with his wife Andrea, they are raising their three children on a farm right next door to the farm he grew up on.
“We love being able to provide healthy, quality food for people,” says Aric. “We especially love knowing our eggs are enjoyed by consumers every day.”
The Bos family produces brown eggs from hens that are raised in enriched colony housing. After careful consideration and research, Aric decided on this type of housing because he believes it provides the best environment for the birds. It allows the hens to perch, scratch and lay their eggs in private nesting boxes.
As with other Ontario egg farmers, the Bos family makes sure their hens are given the highest level of care. The result is high-quality, delicious eggs for Ontario and families like yours to enjoy.
To learn more about the Bos family and others like them, visit getcracking.ca
A Savoury Squash Egg Bake
Crisp autumn leaves and a chill in the air bring on the cravings for savoury meals. This Squash Egg Bake is so deliciously simple to make it will be sure to squash your hunger.
Servings: 6 | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Bake Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- ½ tsp (2 mL) paprika
- ½ tsp (2 mL) chili powder
- 1 acorn squash, about 3 lbs (1.5 kg)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)olive oil
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) crumbled Feta cheese
- fresh oregano leaves for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together oregano, salt, pepper, paprika and chilli powder.
- Leaving the skin on, slice the squash into six ½-inch (1 cm) thick rounds. Remove seeds, making the cavity bigger if necessary. Place on a prepared baking sheet and brush both sides of the squash with oil. Sprinkle each side with the spice mixture. Bake for 15 minutes until tender.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Crack one egg into each hole. Bake for 10 minutes until egg whites are cooked through. Sprinkle with Feta and garnish with fresh oregano.
Ontario eggs are healthy, easy to prepare, affordable and produced by local farmers. Egg Farmers of Ontario is pleased to offer you recipes, cooking techniques and tips to simplify meal preparation.