Delicious back-to-school lunches © News Canada
Do your kids complain that the standard lunch options you serve are boring? Add this plant-based sandwich recipe that uses sprouted whole grain bread to your lunch lineup for a tasty alternative.
Swapping regular sandwich bread for a sprouted grain option means more fibre, protein and minerals to keep kids powered up throughout the day.
Healthy lunches for kids lead to better overall student well-being in both physical and mental health. According to the Heart and Stroke Foundation, forming healthy eating habits at a young age can reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke throughout life. Similarly, nourished kids learn and behave better, and healthy foods help to support a healthy immune system and foster positive mental health.
Plant-based meals are also important to help eliminate environmental concerns from food packaging. By relying less on packaged food and packing kids a homemade and plant-based lunch, meals can help to uplift the well-being of students and our planet.
Try this delicious chickpea and avocado sandwich for the perfect back-to-school lunch for the little ones! It will leave them craving healthy alternatives and longing for plant-based food for every meal.
Chickpea and Avocado Sandwich
Prep time: 15 minutes • Makes: 4 sandwiches
- 1 small or ½ medium red onion
- 1-3 celery ribs, depending on size
- 2-4 dill pickles, optional
- 15.5 oz (435 g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup (60 ml) vegan mayo
- ¼ tsp (4 ml) garlic powder
- Salt, to taste
- Ground pepper, to taste
- 8 slices Silver Hills Bakery’s The Big 16 sprouted whole grain bread
- 2 large avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- Vegan pesto, to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 jalapeños, seeded and sliced
- Mix red onion, celery and dill pickles in your food processor and pulse until ingredients are roughly chopped. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add chickpeas to food processor. Continue pulsing until ingredients are thoroughly combined. Again, scrape down the sides when necessary.
- Add vegan mayo, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Process until mixture is blended to a smooth and spreadable consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Toast your sprouted bread slices.
- Combine avocados and lemon juice in a bowl. Mash and mix to desired consistency with a fork.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons (30-45 ml) chickpea mousse on one slice and 1-2 tablespoons (15-30 ml) avocado mash to the other.
- Dress with jalapeños and tomato slices.